About Me

My photo
Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cell Phone Usage

After hearing the story about a teenage girl who committed suicide because her boyfriend sent nude pictures of her to everyone who wanted them, I was curious and searched out the full story.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1538742/jesse_logan_committed_suicide_after.html?cat=15

This poor girl is one example of many who commit the crime of "sexting". And after reading the article of how many children/teenagers have cell phones and why they used them, I am completely appalled. Which is more stupid: the parents or the teens? The parents because they allow the teens to have cell phones, the teens because they simply disregard the responsibility that a cell phone holds. The fact that many know that "sexting" is a crime, yet continue to do so, I can't even fathom it.
Personally, I don't think anyone should have a cell phone until they're 18. Unless they are traveling a lot (and let's be honest, how much do teenagers travel?), or they have major family issues where someone could die at any moment, it's just not a good idea. And even if they had an emergency of that sort, what teacher or such would/should allow the use of the phone until a particular part of the day? I didn't have a cell phone until my first year of college. And I have family issues where I needed to be in touch with my family all the time. But, what good was it going to do me to keep in touch while I'm in class? If they needed me that bad, they could contact the school to call me. Now that I'm in college, I find great advantage to keep in touch with people at home. Teens don't treat this privilege with respect. Especially while driving. I do understand the want of a phone while in the car, but I also know that talking and driving at the same time is not easy, and texting is worse. Honestly, I really have nothing good to say about cell phones for teenagers, so I'm going to quit while I'm ahead here.

No comments:

Post a Comment