About Me

My photo
Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Environmental Help

I went to a lecture near the beginning of the semester (so it's surprising I still remember stuff about it), where the speaker focused on environmental issues. I found it interesting because she really got into how this affects people (including children) and what measures are taken to help resolve these issues. One incident she presented was a lot that was basically a dump sight in a neighborhood filled with children. What are the odds they will come across broken bottles or something more dangerous and really hurt themselves? They don't have many places to play, and no one seems to care enough to prevent incidents...
Some of the ways to help were fairly interesting, like where to plant trees and take some out. One of particular interest was a rooftop garden. She was really detailed with these issues and focused greatly on the positive impacts (which, when you think about it, one wouldn't especially wish to focus on the negative when trying to persuade an issue).
I'm admittedly not overly "environmental". I do recycle and turn off appliances and the like, but I'm not as hard core as some people. But that doesn't mean students shouldn't know about these issues. I wouldn't necessarily try to be hypocritical...I just know that these issues are ever growing and eventually they cannot be ignored. It's all a part of taking that one step and hoping that you can reach one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment